Monday, October 06, 2008

New Rules: Jean-Etienne Amaury Needs to Shut Up

"Hey Jean, COUNT MY FINGERS!"

My apologies to Bil Maher for borrowing "New Rules," but I wish the French would just shut up. Jean-Etienne Amaury is the new president of the Amaury Sports Organization, which runs the Tour de France. The ASO also owns the French sports paper, L'Equipe. Last week, this Frenchman, who does not understand the concept of conflict of interest (and, as Joe Biden would say, let me repeat that: this Frenchman who does not understand the concept of conflict of interest) said: "We cannot say that he [Our Boy Lance] has not embarrassed the Tour de France."

Let's just have OBL speak for himself:
"The last time I checked I won the tour seven straight years and was NEVER once found to be guilty of doping despite seven years of intense scrutiny. Not to mention that my team of 25 riders over those seven years was also NEVER found to be positive. We won clean and fair. Also, according to industry standards, TV ratings, worldwide media impressions, spectators along the route, and global sponsorships were at an all time high. Where's the embarrassment in that?

"Furthermore, as I've stated clearly, my main objective in 2009 is to bring about global awareness of a disease that kills 8 million people annually worldwide. Nobody ever said that I need the Tour de France in order to try and achieve this. It comes down to an issue of distraction, while I love the event and France's people, I cannot accept this sort of grandstanding which distracts from the Livestrong message that is urgently needed, and being sought out, in many other places around the world."

When someone proves (let me repeat that: PROVES) that Lance Armstrong cheated, I'll be the first to take off my yellow wristband and admit I've been a fool. I continue to applaud the good work OBL is doing to increase cancer awareness and research. When Mr. Amaury wants to make a similar impact on society and not make a fool of himself and the wonderful sporting event he represents, I'll be happy to make a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation in his name.

3 comments:

53rd Tooth said...

Nicely stated 03.

Ride on Rider said...

I waited a couple days to get this off the top ... but wish Your BL would have chosen to come back (as once rumored) on a special Global Fight Cancer team - no pay for him as he said, get some competitive riders with close relatives impacted by cancer (I'm sure there are plenty), find a sponsor for a year or two (not too hard I bet), and race primarily to raise money & advocate for awareness and a cure (and secondarily to win of course) - he would have been My BL too then ...

this isn't about cancer, as always, it's about Lance!!

and I for sure hate to see him bring his self-centered one man on the absolute best team (with most of his top competition HAVING to work only for him) system back to the pro peloton

he won 7 Maillot Jaunes and that's absolutely the best Tour performance ever, but this career appendix isn't good for the future of the sport, cancer (or even Lance I think) ...

I still wear the yellow band for cycling & cancer, but I also believe Frankie & his wife (growth hormones, EPO & steroids prior to 1996) - if Lance admitted to that and said no doping later, I'd be much more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but one is a liar on this one: Frankie or YBL? and if you can lie once about doping ... well done for me!!

that's what blogs are for eh :)

Granny's 30 said...

great comment as well ROR

Monday, October 06, 2008

New Rules: Jean-Etienne Amaury Needs to Shut Up

"Hey Jean, COUNT MY FINGERS!"

My apologies to Bil Maher for borrowing "New Rules," but I wish the French would just shut up. Jean-Etienne Amaury is the new president of the Amaury Sports Organization, which runs the Tour de France. The ASO also owns the French sports paper, L'Equipe. Last week, this Frenchman, who does not understand the concept of conflict of interest (and, as Joe Biden would say, let me repeat that: this Frenchman who does not understand the concept of conflict of interest) said: "We cannot say that he [Our Boy Lance] has not embarrassed the Tour de France."

Let's just have OBL speak for himself:
"The last time I checked I won the tour seven straight years and was NEVER once found to be guilty of doping despite seven years of intense scrutiny. Not to mention that my team of 25 riders over those seven years was also NEVER found to be positive. We won clean and fair. Also, according to industry standards, TV ratings, worldwide media impressions, spectators along the route, and global sponsorships were at an all time high. Where's the embarrassment in that?

"Furthermore, as I've stated clearly, my main objective in 2009 is to bring about global awareness of a disease that kills 8 million people annually worldwide. Nobody ever said that I need the Tour de France in order to try and achieve this. It comes down to an issue of distraction, while I love the event and France's people, I cannot accept this sort of grandstanding which distracts from the Livestrong message that is urgently needed, and being sought out, in many other places around the world."

When someone proves (let me repeat that: PROVES) that Lance Armstrong cheated, I'll be the first to take off my yellow wristband and admit I've been a fool. I continue to applaud the good work OBL is doing to increase cancer awareness and research. When Mr. Amaury wants to make a similar impact on society and not make a fool of himself and the wonderful sporting event he represents, I'll be happy to make a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation in his name.

3 comments:

53rd Tooth said...

Nicely stated 03.

Ride on Rider said...

I waited a couple days to get this off the top ... but wish Your BL would have chosen to come back (as once rumored) on a special Global Fight Cancer team - no pay for him as he said, get some competitive riders with close relatives impacted by cancer (I'm sure there are plenty), find a sponsor for a year or two (not too hard I bet), and race primarily to raise money & advocate for awareness and a cure (and secondarily to win of course) - he would have been My BL too then ...

this isn't about cancer, as always, it's about Lance!!

and I for sure hate to see him bring his self-centered one man on the absolute best team (with most of his top competition HAVING to work only for him) system back to the pro peloton

he won 7 Maillot Jaunes and that's absolutely the best Tour performance ever, but this career appendix isn't good for the future of the sport, cancer (or even Lance I think) ...

I still wear the yellow band for cycling & cancer, but I also believe Frankie & his wife (growth hormones, EPO & steroids prior to 1996) - if Lance admitted to that and said no doping later, I'd be much more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but one is a liar on this one: Frankie or YBL? and if you can lie once about doping ... well done for me!!

that's what blogs are for eh :)

Granny's 30 said...

great comment as well ROR