Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Apologies to James Raia

The Crankset received this note from the superb cycling writer, James Raia, on Friday, in response to an item ("Rah Rah for Raia") we had posted earlier in the Tour to point our readers to his fine work:

I appreciate your kind words. But, geez, if you're just going to use my blog as your blog, the least you could do is provide a link to my site.
Cheers,
James Raia
In the item, I reprinted a short piece that Raia had written to showcase his work. Unfortunately, I failed to also provide a link to his blog, something I'm usually quite consistent in doing.

My apologies to James (the photo is from his site). While not all bloggers are journalists, all blogs are a form of journalism. And as a long-time journalist, I would never want to pass off someone else's work as my own. As the Crankset has grown its audience in the past year or so, we have a greater responsibility in crediting sources. My intent, if not my successful result, was only to point readers to James' work. I hope we can continue to do so.

3 comments:

James said...

Thank you for the professional response. It's appreciated and shows class.

Cheers,
James Raia
www.ByJamesRaia.com

Anonymous said...

unlike that dude's total over reaction to you guys making mention of him and bringing attention to his blog...you cranks definitely have more class than that bloke.

Tour of '03 said...

While we appreciate your support, it was my responsibility to make it perfectly clear that the work I cited was James Raia's, NOT my own. By allowing for reader reaction and interaction, EVEN bloggers are held to a standard of responsibility that mainstream journalists haven't been in the past. It's important to give credit where credit is due. If that wasn't clear the first time, then it is now. I think we can all be satisfied with that.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Apologies to James Raia

The Crankset received this note from the superb cycling writer, James Raia, on Friday, in response to an item ("Rah Rah for Raia") we had posted earlier in the Tour to point our readers to his fine work:

I appreciate your kind words. But, geez, if you're just going to use my blog as your blog, the least you could do is provide a link to my site.
Cheers,
James Raia
In the item, I reprinted a short piece that Raia had written to showcase his work. Unfortunately, I failed to also provide a link to his blog, something I'm usually quite consistent in doing.

My apologies to James (the photo is from his site). While not all bloggers are journalists, all blogs are a form of journalism. And as a long-time journalist, I would never want to pass off someone else's work as my own. As the Crankset has grown its audience in the past year or so, we have a greater responsibility in crediting sources. My intent, if not my successful result, was only to point readers to James' work. I hope we can continue to do so.

3 comments:

James said...

Thank you for the professional response. It's appreciated and shows class.

Cheers,
James Raia
www.ByJamesRaia.com

Anonymous said...

unlike that dude's total over reaction to you guys making mention of him and bringing attention to his blog...you cranks definitely have more class than that bloke.

Tour of '03 said...

While we appreciate your support, it was my responsibility to make it perfectly clear that the work I cited was James Raia's, NOT my own. By allowing for reader reaction and interaction, EVEN bloggers are held to a standard of responsibility that mainstream journalists haven't been in the past. It's important to give credit where credit is due. If that wasn't clear the first time, then it is now. I think we can all be satisfied with that.