Friday, May 25, 2007

Riis Admits to Doping During '96 Tour

And now, Bjarne Riis.

The manager of the highly successful CSC team and the 1996 winner of the Tour de France,
admitted on Friday that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his 1996 Tour victory.

"I have taken doping. I have taken EPO," Riis said at a televised news conference. "I have made errors and I would like to apologize."

Riis said he used the substances from 1993 to 1998, including during his Tour victory. Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour, and indicated he would be willing to give back the title.

"My jersey is at home in a cardboard box," he said. "They are welcome to come and get it. I have my memories for myself."

Riis said he didn't suffer any side effects from EPO, a blood-boosting hormone. "The only effect I had was that I rode faster," he said.

Riis said he also used cortisone and human growth hormone.

No comments:

Friday, May 25, 2007

Riis Admits to Doping During '96 Tour

And now, Bjarne Riis.

The manager of the highly successful CSC team and the 1996 winner of the Tour de France,
admitted on Friday that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his 1996 Tour victory.

"I have taken doping. I have taken EPO," Riis said at a televised news conference. "I have made errors and I would like to apologize."

Riis said he used the substances from 1993 to 1998, including during his Tour victory. Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour, and indicated he would be willing to give back the title.

"My jersey is at home in a cardboard box," he said. "They are welcome to come and get it. I have my memories for myself."

Riis said he didn't suffer any side effects from EPO, a blood-boosting hormone. "The only effect I had was that I rode faster," he said.

Riis said he also used cortisone and human growth hormone.

No comments: