Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Old Guys Have Their Day At The Giro

The view above Rapallo (Graham Watson)

We're about halfway through -- 10 stages -- the Giro d'Italia, which is being hyped as a showdown between the young guns.

But you always have to watch the old guys. A pair of veterans stole the spotlight during Tuesday's grueling 250-km climbing stage in the sun-baked mountains above Genova.
Leonardo Piepoli and Andrea Noè, two unsung workhorses in an age of millionaire general classification captains, clawed their way to the podium at the end of an explosive battle that saw the end of Marco Pinotti's pink jersey run.

Piepoli, 35, held off a late charge by Danilo Di Luca on the steep 8.8km climb up the Santuario Nosta Signora della Guardia to claim his third career Giro stage victory.

"Okay, today it's the old guys winning the stage and taking the jersey, but don't tell me the young guys aren't good. Look at the class of '81 -- Cunego, Pozzato -- you can find 10 champions. And this young guy Schleck today," said Piepoli, who won two Giro stages last year. "There are a few of us old guys who are still there. That means that I've been racing against very good ones my whole career."

Noè, the oldest rider in the Giro at 38 and reputed as one of the grumpiest men in the peloton, inherited the maglia rosa from Pinotti after finishing 10th at 52 seconds back.

"I have been doing this job for 15 years now and many things have changed. The young guys aren't like us anymore," Noè said. "I don't recognize the young riders anymore. I have to look at their jerseys or their helmets to see who they are."

Overall/Top 20

1. Andrea Noe' (I), Liquigas, 46:06:09
2. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Lampre, 1:08
3. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 1:15
4. Vila Errandonea Francisco J. (Sp), Lampre, 1:38
5. Evgeni Petrov (Rus), Tinkoff Credit Systems, 1:48
6. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 2:04
7. Serguei Yakovlev (Kaz), Astana, 2:06
8. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 2:58
9. Marco Pinotti (I), T-Mobile, 3:11
10. Rubiera Vigil José Luis (Sp), Discovery Channel, 3:22
11. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 4:03
12. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 4:04
13. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 4:29
14. Leonardo Piepoli (I), Saunier Duval, 4:32
15. Paolo Savoldelli (I), Astana, 4:40
16. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 5:06
17. Mario Aerts (B), Predictor-Lotto, 5:20
18. Gilberto Simoni (I), Saunier Duval, 5:24
19. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr), Discovery Channel, 5:27
20. David Dario Cioni (I), Predictor-Lotto, 5:44

No comments:

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Old Guys Have Their Day At The Giro

The view above Rapallo (Graham Watson)

We're about halfway through -- 10 stages -- the Giro d'Italia, which is being hyped as a showdown between the young guns.

But you always have to watch the old guys. A pair of veterans stole the spotlight during Tuesday's grueling 250-km climbing stage in the sun-baked mountains above Genova.
Leonardo Piepoli and Andrea Noè, two unsung workhorses in an age of millionaire general classification captains, clawed their way to the podium at the end of an explosive battle that saw the end of Marco Pinotti's pink jersey run.

Piepoli, 35, held off a late charge by Danilo Di Luca on the steep 8.8km climb up the Santuario Nosta Signora della Guardia to claim his third career Giro stage victory.

"Okay, today it's the old guys winning the stage and taking the jersey, but don't tell me the young guys aren't good. Look at the class of '81 -- Cunego, Pozzato -- you can find 10 champions. And this young guy Schleck today," said Piepoli, who won two Giro stages last year. "There are a few of us old guys who are still there. That means that I've been racing against very good ones my whole career."

Noè, the oldest rider in the Giro at 38 and reputed as one of the grumpiest men in the peloton, inherited the maglia rosa from Pinotti after finishing 10th at 52 seconds back.

"I have been doing this job for 15 years now and many things have changed. The young guys aren't like us anymore," Noè said. "I don't recognize the young riders anymore. I have to look at their jerseys or their helmets to see who they are."

Overall/Top 20

1. Andrea Noe' (I), Liquigas, 46:06:09
2. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Lampre, 1:08
3. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 1:15
4. Vila Errandonea Francisco J. (Sp), Lampre, 1:38
5. Evgeni Petrov (Rus), Tinkoff Credit Systems, 1:48
6. Emanuele Sella (I), Ceramica Panaria - Navigare, 2:04
7. Serguei Yakovlev (Kaz), Astana, 2:06
8. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 2:58
9. Marco Pinotti (I), T-Mobile, 3:11
10. Rubiera Vigil José Luis (Sp), Discovery Channel, 3:22
11. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 4:03
12. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 4:04
13. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 4:29
14. Leonardo Piepoli (I), Saunier Duval, 4:32
15. Paolo Savoldelli (I), Astana, 4:40
16. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 5:06
17. Mario Aerts (B), Predictor-Lotto, 5:20
18. Gilberto Simoni (I), Saunier Duval, 5:24
19. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr), Discovery Channel, 5:27
20. David Dario Cioni (I), Predictor-Lotto, 5:44

No comments: