Monday, May 14, 2007

Low-Hanging Fruit

I realize that most sprinters aren't climbers, but it still bugs me when sprinters pick off early stages of a Grand Tour, then drop out of the event. That's what they get paid for by their teams, but can't they carry a water bottle or two up a mountain?

Robbie McEwen won the second stage of the Giro d'Italia Sunday in his specialty, a sprint finish, then talked about going home.

"I have won a stage, so I am happy," McEwen said. "I won't go home yet but in any case, my Giro has been a success. I came here hoping to win one stage and now I have achieved that. I am here for a while yet, I will try to win another one. That is the way I always do it. In every race I go to, the first victory is always the most difficult."

The victory marked his 12th stage win in the Giro d'Italia, equaling his total from the Tour de France. What difference does he see between the two races?

"One is in Italy and the other is in France," he said jokingly. "They are both Grand Tours, they are both objective for me during the season. I guess on a worldwide scale the Giro attracts less publicity. But it is very important to win here in the Giro. In terms of which is harder, there is no real difference. There are the same guys at both races."

No comments:

Monday, May 14, 2007

Low-Hanging Fruit

I realize that most sprinters aren't climbers, but it still bugs me when sprinters pick off early stages of a Grand Tour, then drop out of the event. That's what they get paid for by their teams, but can't they carry a water bottle or two up a mountain?

Robbie McEwen won the second stage of the Giro d'Italia Sunday in his specialty, a sprint finish, then talked about going home.

"I have won a stage, so I am happy," McEwen said. "I won't go home yet but in any case, my Giro has been a success. I came here hoping to win one stage and now I have achieved that. I am here for a while yet, I will try to win another one. That is the way I always do it. In every race I go to, the first victory is always the most difficult."

The victory marked his 12th stage win in the Giro d'Italia, equaling his total from the Tour de France. What difference does he see between the two races?

"One is in Italy and the other is in France," he said jokingly. "They are both Grand Tours, they are both objective for me during the season. I guess on a worldwide scale the Giro attracts less publicity. But it is very important to win here in the Giro. In terms of which is harder, there is no real difference. There are the same guys at both races."

No comments: