Monday, April 30, 2007

"He Gone!"

As part of my cable "Extra Inning" In Demand baseball package, I get just about every Major League Baseball game. I'm a lifetime Detroit Tigers fan (I can finally admit as much proudly again), and they've already played several games against the Chicago White Sox, who have a very homer-istic, annoying annoucing team.

When someone on the other team strikes out, they're favorite call is, "He Gone!" I don't like it much, but after today, all you can say about FORMER Discovery Channel team rider Ivan Basso is, "He Gone!"

Discovery Channel cast Basso aside Monday, and professional cycling is a sadder place. Of course, it professional cycling has been a sad place since Basso and dozens of other riders were implicated in the Operation Puerto doping affair.

I won't even get into the Bad Boy Floyd business with the Tour de France, doping agencies, L'Equipe (the French sports newspaper that also runs the Tour) ... Well, you get the idea. Did the French invent the term "conflict of interest"?

Discovery says they continue to stand by the 29-year-old Tour of Italy champion, who was supposed to lead their Tour bid in a couple month. But with support like that, you don't even need enemies like L'Equipe.

Basso supposedly asked to be released from his contract. "This was a very difficult decision, for me and my family, but I think it is the right thing to do," said Basso.

I'm glad somebody thinks they're doing the right thing.

"The team is trying to find a new sponsor and win bike races, and my situation is a distraction to both of those goals," Basso added. "It is important that everyone knows this was 100 percent my decision. Nobody asked me to leave."

Well, maybe just the French.

Cycling is such a mess now. I want to watch and enjoy the races, but since the summer, it just hasn't been possible. Normally, I love the classics. I look forward to my cycling magazines arriving in the mail. I keep thinking I will get over it, but all these months later, nothing has changed.

Granny has taken the right approach, enjoying the bike for the sake of the bike. We probably don't need Ivan Basso, but somehow, great riders are inspirations when they perform gloriously on their machines.

Perhaps the glory will return. But right now, Basso is gone. Ulrich is gone. Bad Boy Floyd is gone. Our Boy Lance is long gone. And professional cycling ... well, it's gone.

1 comment:

Granny's 30 said...

Gotta love "Hawk" Harrelson's expressions. Another one of my favorites, "stretch!"

Monday, April 30, 2007

"He Gone!"

As part of my cable "Extra Inning" In Demand baseball package, I get just about every Major League Baseball game. I'm a lifetime Detroit Tigers fan (I can finally admit as much proudly again), and they've already played several games against the Chicago White Sox, who have a very homer-istic, annoying annoucing team.

When someone on the other team strikes out, they're favorite call is, "He Gone!" I don't like it much, but after today, all you can say about FORMER Discovery Channel team rider Ivan Basso is, "He Gone!"

Discovery Channel cast Basso aside Monday, and professional cycling is a sadder place. Of course, it professional cycling has been a sad place since Basso and dozens of other riders were implicated in the Operation Puerto doping affair.

I won't even get into the Bad Boy Floyd business with the Tour de France, doping agencies, L'Equipe (the French sports newspaper that also runs the Tour) ... Well, you get the idea. Did the French invent the term "conflict of interest"?

Discovery says they continue to stand by the 29-year-old Tour of Italy champion, who was supposed to lead their Tour bid in a couple month. But with support like that, you don't even need enemies like L'Equipe.

Basso supposedly asked to be released from his contract. "This was a very difficult decision, for me and my family, but I think it is the right thing to do," said Basso.

I'm glad somebody thinks they're doing the right thing.

"The team is trying to find a new sponsor and win bike races, and my situation is a distraction to both of those goals," Basso added. "It is important that everyone knows this was 100 percent my decision. Nobody asked me to leave."

Well, maybe just the French.

Cycling is such a mess now. I want to watch and enjoy the races, but since the summer, it just hasn't been possible. Normally, I love the classics. I look forward to my cycling magazines arriving in the mail. I keep thinking I will get over it, but all these months later, nothing has changed.

Granny has taken the right approach, enjoying the bike for the sake of the bike. We probably don't need Ivan Basso, but somehow, great riders are inspirations when they perform gloriously on their machines.

Perhaps the glory will return. But right now, Basso is gone. Ulrich is gone. Bad Boy Floyd is gone. Our Boy Lance is long gone. And professional cycling ... well, it's gone.

1 comment:

Granny's 30 said...

Gotta love "Hawk" Harrelson's expressions. Another one of my favorites, "stretch!"