Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Millar: I'm a Spokesman

I suppose that if you've admitted to doping, taken your two-year ban like a man, then returned to the pro tour with some success, you get to be a spokesman against the practice.
At least David Millar thinks so.
"Last Thursday and Friday, I was in London for a conference about drugs," said Millar (photo by Graham Watson), who won the prologue to the Paris-Nice race on Sunday. "I feel that I have a new responsibility in the fight against drugs. I want to be a voice in the clean up of the sport for the coming generations. I can't forget the mistakes from the past. I want to be an example every day now.
"The young riders must not believe that there is a need for injections of recovery products. It's useless."
Millar, who is British, has set several goals.
"I have set the year 2012 as the end of my career," he said. "In the five remaining years I want to become the world's best rider. I have come back a long way but I'm stronger than ever. Confidence will be the key for winning the prologue of the Tour de France in London."
I hope to be in London for the start of the 2007 Tour July 7 and in Kent the next day for the conclusion of Stage 1.

2 comments:

53rd Tooth said...

This is precisely what the sport needs. An outspoken leader who has taken his lumps, asked for forgiveness and has put it behind him.

I realize it took him getting caught to get religion but just imagine if all would come forward with this kind of courage. The sport would be changed forever if not the world.

53rd Tooth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Millar: I'm a Spokesman

I suppose that if you've admitted to doping, taken your two-year ban like a man, then returned to the pro tour with some success, you get to be a spokesman against the practice.
At least David Millar thinks so.
"Last Thursday and Friday, I was in London for a conference about drugs," said Millar (photo by Graham Watson), who won the prologue to the Paris-Nice race on Sunday. "I feel that I have a new responsibility in the fight against drugs. I want to be a voice in the clean up of the sport for the coming generations. I can't forget the mistakes from the past. I want to be an example every day now.
"The young riders must not believe that there is a need for injections of recovery products. It's useless."
Millar, who is British, has set several goals.
"I have set the year 2012 as the end of my career," he said. "In the five remaining years I want to become the world's best rider. I have come back a long way but I'm stronger than ever. Confidence will be the key for winning the prologue of the Tour de France in London."
I hope to be in London for the start of the 2007 Tour July 7 and in Kent the next day for the conclusion of Stage 1.

2 comments:

53rd Tooth said...

This is precisely what the sport needs. An outspoken leader who has taken his lumps, asked for forgiveness and has put it behind him.

I realize it took him getting caught to get religion but just imagine if all would come forward with this kind of courage. The sport would be changed forever if not the world.

53rd Tooth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.