Sunday, March 18, 2007

From Pucks to Bikes

Having just returned from Detroit, where I watched and reported on the Central Collegiate Hockey Association Championship at Joe Louis Arena, I'm only just getting back to the cycling world.

(And first off, apologies to Granny, who I was supposed to call and didn't to see if he was attendance at the games. That's what I get for not returning to my college hockey roots for 12 years: Too many old friends and old times to catch up on.) I reported on college hockey for almost 30 years during my sports writing days at Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Michigan State, so given ND and MSU's participation in this year's tournament (won by the No. 1 Irish for the first time), it was a great opportunity to see if you really can go home again.

You can.

Getting back to cycling, I see that the Discovery Channel team is building on its Tour of California success with three stage victories by Yaroslav Popovych and ultimate winner Alberto Contador (two stages, including Sunday's finale in stirring fashion) in Paris-Nice. Not Levi. Not George. Not even Ivan, who, like George, was injured in a fall, as did Paolo Bettini (just you don't think Discovery Channel riders are the only ones falling off their bikes).

A scheduling note: In case you missed Sunday's Paris-Nice final stage on Versus, it appears that the network is repeating its weekly Cyclysm telecast on Wednesday afternoons at 3 p.m. ET. I've already set my DVR.

No comments:

Sunday, March 18, 2007

From Pucks to Bikes

Having just returned from Detroit, where I watched and reported on the Central Collegiate Hockey Association Championship at Joe Louis Arena, I'm only just getting back to the cycling world.

(And first off, apologies to Granny, who I was supposed to call and didn't to see if he was attendance at the games. That's what I get for not returning to my college hockey roots for 12 years: Too many old friends and old times to catch up on.) I reported on college hockey for almost 30 years during my sports writing days at Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Michigan State, so given ND and MSU's participation in this year's tournament (won by the No. 1 Irish for the first time), it was a great opportunity to see if you really can go home again.

You can.

Getting back to cycling, I see that the Discovery Channel team is building on its Tour of California success with three stage victories by Yaroslav Popovych and ultimate winner Alberto Contador (two stages, including Sunday's finale in stirring fashion) in Paris-Nice. Not Levi. Not George. Not even Ivan, who, like George, was injured in a fall, as did Paolo Bettini (just you don't think Discovery Channel riders are the only ones falling off their bikes).

A scheduling note: In case you missed Sunday's Paris-Nice final stage on Versus, it appears that the network is repeating its weekly Cyclysm telecast on Wednesday afternoons at 3 p.m. ET. I've already set my DVR.

No comments: